Friday, July 11, 2008

An Evening of Adventure



Last night my mom and I went to the Toby Keith/Montgomery Gentry concert in Glendale. It was really nice out and breezy during the opening bands. We got lawn seats, so we sat down at the bottom in the front on a blanket. The clouds in the distance didnt look too promising, but it seemed as though the wind was going to carry it a different direction. Not the case. Soon it started sprinkling, and not a minute later it was like a hurricane! My mom and I pulled the blanket up over our heads, but after a few minutes we were drenched anyway.
Here is us hiding under our blanket!


The wind was blowing so hard that the rain was coming in sideways. We used the blanket although completely soaked to stop the wind. After Montgomery Gentry finished, the lights came on and we saw that since we were sitting at the very bottom of the hill we were sitting in a river! No wonder our jeans were soaked and everything. So we decided that things werent going to blow over and chickened out and left before Toby Keith came on. It's a pretty good darn thing we did because I just heard that there was an over an hour rain delay before he even came on! Plus that little river we were sitting in grew to be a foot deep.



So we got in my moms nice Mustang in our soaking wet clothes and started heading to my house. We got on the freeway and it was so bad we couldnt see the lines in the road let alone 2 feet in front of us. So we got off at the next exit. Of couse our lucky night, we got off in the middle of..oh how do I put this..the ghetto?? We pulled into a circle K to wait for the rain to let up some, and noticed in front of us a guy with a black garbage bag pulled completelty over him. That was just creepy that he was just standing there like that so we left and headed on down the road to another gas station. There were two creepy guys there too that were trying to wave at us and stuff so we got out of there and went to a jack in the box that was better lit. So after sitting there for awhile and deciding that it wasnt going to stop raining anytime soon, we got the great idea to take surface roads.
So we drove down McDowell..or should I say forged down McDowell. The street lights were out and cars were just everywhere. We couldnt turn around, so we just kept going until we could turn. There was so much water, we were pushing it with our front bumper. I thought for sure we were going to be those people sitting on the roof of their cars waiting to get rescued. It was bad. So we finally get to where we can get off that road, and got onto the freeway only to come to a complete standstill. Turns out that they shut down the freeway because the underpasses were completely under water. Good news! So we sat there until we could exit onto ANOTHER badly flooded street. We turned around and got back onto the freeway going the opposite direction and got onto another freeway that would eventually take us home. Going through Tempe it was pretty dry, and my mom decided that she would not stay the night at my house and go home instead. (She lives in North Phoenix) We got onto the 60 and it started just pouring AGAIN! So much that we couldnt see in front of us and most everyone was going about 30 mph down the freeway. But we did eventually make it home 2 hours later! I was just glad to be alive and my nerves were shot. My mom decided after all to just stay with us. Dave said that just a few minutes earlier that a guy was rolling around in the middle of the street in front of our house with his girlfriend and just as Dave went outside the police came and threw them in their cars and just took off. He said it was the weirdest thing he saw them just scooping them up and tossing them in and off they went! I am sure because it was pouring and awful out. Anyway..I am spent. I think I will take a nap today. Hahaha..I love the Monsoons though!

No comments: